Segments are specific demographics of your users. They can be based on activity, custom variables, user attributes, etc., and since they are re-usable, they are ideal for frequently targeted groups. Segment data is also tracked and can be viewed via bar graphs and downloaded as a csv file.
Audiences, like segments, are specific demographics of your users targeted by campaigns.
Segments and Audiences are essentially the same, categorizing your users based on specific attributes. A segment is a group of users that you want to analyze and an audience is a group of users that are targeted by a specific engagement campaign.
The key difference is that audiences include a random selection option, so random users can be targeted for A/B testing.
The ALL SEGMENTS page shows all your user segments. Three segments are loaded by default, these segments are MAGIC SEGMENTS which organize your users by activity. You can create a segment from the menu or the All Segments page. Click on Intelligence, the Create Segment.
Segment/Audience filtering options includes
- Everyone - Includes all current and future users
- First Login - Includes users who have never logged in before
- A/B Test - Measure the impact of this campaign by only showing it to some users (Audience Only)
- User Attributes - Include users based on personalized attributes
- User Attributes Uploaded CSV - Include users from file
- Campaign - Include users who have already seen another campaign
- Tour Step Reached - Include users who have or have not reached a specific step of the selected tour
- Segment - Include users from another segment
- Login Activity - Include users based on when they last logged in
- Page View - Include users based on if they've seen a page yet
- Last Visit - Include users based on the last time they logged in (Segment Only)
- Browser Version - Include users based on which browser they last used
- Operating System - Include users who are or are not using a specific OS
- Active User percentage - Include users belonging to accounts determined by percentage of active users
- NPS Response - Include users who are/are not a promoter, passive, detractor of an NPS campaign
- Account Special Variable - Include users in an account with specific variables
This is an example of an AUDIENCE page, which is virtually identical to the CREATE SEGMENT page. Audiences include A/B testing and Random Selection. This example campaign will only be visible to users who have viewed the "buzz" page before 2/23/16.
This is an example of the SEGMENT page with the same filters as the audience page.
Viewing Segment Data
The charts provide user activity data over the past seven days. They include: the number of pages that users visit per session, the number of sessions by day of the week, the number of days per week users visit, the most recent day users have visited, the usage on mobile, the usage on desktop and a list of all accounts in the segment. The data can also be downloaded in a csv file by clicking the Export Data button.
To view a segment analysis, from the menu click Intelligence, All Segments, then click on the name of the segment.